EMS have an exciting new vacancy for an apprentice lab technician to join our team based at our Cardiff office.
This exciting vacancy is supported by Gower College Swansea, who offer outstanding apprenticeship routes for individuals wanting to complete a Level 3 or Level 4 Lab Technician apprenticeship.
Gower College Swansea is one of the largest providers of apprenticeships in Wales, offering a diverse range of training programmes. As part of the role, the individual can study for a HNC in Applied Science and NVQ in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities. The role will include one day at college per week which will be paid and the course itself is award winning.
Environmental Management Solutions are an environmental consultancy based in Hereford, but with regional offices in Cardiff, Worcester and London. EMS specialise in Asbestos Consultancy for a vast range of clients including Housing Associations, NHS Trusts and local authorities as well as a wide range of private clients. EMS have grown organically to be become a nationally recognised consultancy in our sector, catering for a huge range of high street and big-name brands and continuing to grow.
Due to continuing growth of the company, we are currently seeking an apprentice lab technician to learn and work alongside our busy lab team based in Cardiff.
The ideal applicant will have a combination of the following attributes:
• An A level or equivalent (BTEC etc) in a science-based subject (biology, chemistry or maths) however this is not essential
• A willingness to listen and learn
• The ability to be meticulous and have high attention to detail
• Computer literate including experience using Microsoft Packages
• Value the importance of striving to get things right first time
• Be able to work as part of a small team
• It is preferred that the applicant is within an easily commutable distance to our Cardiff office base in Taff’s Well (CF15)
• The applicant will need to be able to successfully undertake the Ishihara test (colour perception test to determine colour-blindness)
Whilst the role is an apprenticeship, and will be supervised at all times, the candidate will be expected to undertake some of the following duties as part of their role:
• Receive, document and log all samples received by post
• Enter details onto custom database software
• Assist lab analysts with preparation of samples
• Answer the phone and emails
• Prepare and send sample certificates to clients
As part of the role, training will be supported, and the applicant would be able to work towards P401 qualification.
P401– Identification of Asbestos in Bulk Samples by PLM gives analysts the knowledge and skills required to safely analyse bulk samples containing asbestos. This is a level 4 qualification in the BOHS qualifications framework, equivalent to NVQ Level 4 (HNC). This training will be paid for by the company.
If you think this role could be a good fit for you, please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com